Neonatology is One of the subspecialty of paediatrics . Neonatology basically includes newborn infant’s medical care, particularly the premature or ill new born infant. Neonatology is hospital based service and practiced in neonatal intensive care units (NICUs). Newborn infants are the primary patients of neonatal intensive care unit and required special medical treatment due to prematurity, low birth weight, congenital malformations, intrauterine growth, retardation, sepsis, birth asphyxias, or pulmonary hypoplasia. Neonatal intensive care units can assist infants at the time of delivery and in the subsequent care of the new born. If a problem is identified before the baby was born, neonatal intensive care units staff may become involved to provide care during the pregnancy.
- Diagnosis and treatment of new born babies with problems such as infection, birth defects, and Breathing disorders
- Coordinating care and provide medical care to the newborns that are critically ill, born premature or needed surgery
- Ensuring that severally ill newborns receive proper nutrition for curing and growth
- Providing care to the infants at the time of delivery or cesarean
- Stabilizing and treating infants with any life threatening medical conditions.
- Consulting with pediatrician, obstetricians, and family physician about the problems affecting newborns.
It is very important that the doctors (neonatologists) handle new born babies should get a special training as infants organs may not be mature enough to function without a special help. Neonatology also provides special training that required evaluating and treating new born babies medical problems. In addition, neonatologists use equipment that is designed specifically for the tiniest patients.
Nyle women’s and children super-specialty hospital in Thrissurprovided neonatal intensive care units (NICU) for infants. The hospital is one of the best women and child care centers in Kerala. Neonatology unit in the hospital provides a best available medical care to the infants.