Paediatric Intensive care unit (PICU) is the only dedicated paediatric intensive care facility that provides intensive care services to critically ill infants, children and young people within the region. PICU is a 24 hour service that operates 365 days a year.
- Specialist care for seriously ill, injured, or ventilated children
- specialist care will be given post cardiac surgery, cardiac & liver transplantation
- Specialist care for High Dependency patients unsuitable for the ward due to physiological instability, or dependence on specialist technology
- Provides Extra-corporeal life support (ECLS) including Extra-Corporeal Membrane Oxygenation (ECMO) and Ventricular Assist Devices (VAD ) The service also provides care and support outside the PICU
- Medical Emergency Team (MET) for all inpatients
- Outreach Service for review of ward based patients following discharge from PICU, and any patient experiencing clinical deterioration where PICU assistance is requested, or any patient that may require PICU admission
- Paediatric, Infants and Perinatal Emergency Retrieval (PIPER)
- Clinical Technologist support to Home Ventilation, technology dependent children in Wards, NICU and Emergency Department.
Basically, PICU provides a national service for children who need high dependency care or intensive care. The unit of PICU is a combination of general and cardiac intensive care facilities with certain physical capacity. PICU treats around 45 % of cardiac patients and provides pre or post-operative care for children that are undergoing treatment for congenital cardiac conditions.
General admissions involve all the medical and surgical conditions and therapies such as liver transplantation, neurosurgery, and spinal surgery. PICU also involves all the intensive care support techniques such as renal replacement therapy, ECMO, and HFOV.
The dominant philosophy of the PICU is family centric care of the children with in the unit. The unit provides permission to the parents to be with the critically ill child and don’t asked them to leave for completing any procedures.
Nyle women’s and children superspeciality hospital has its own Paediatric Intensive care unit (PICU). The hospital has qualified and experienced doctors to treat critically ill children and provides best facilities to cure them it is a well known Woman and Child Care Centre in Kerala The hospital has patient care centric environment.