Abnormal Bleeding Care and Treatment at Nyle Hospital
The reasons for teenagers and adults to experience abnormal bleeding are many. Some of the common causes include adenomyosis, polyps and fibroids. However, there are several other causes too; hence it is vital that the affected woman undergo thorough examination so as to detect the actual cause for abnormal bleeding.
General Symptoms of Abnormal Bleeding
Most of the women who have regular periods repeat the menstrual cycle once a month, either 28 days cycle or 35 40 days cycle. The bleeding may be normal for first 3 days and reduce gradually. Periods is said to be normal, if it lasts not more than 7 days.Any girl is said to haveabnormal bleeding, if she has the following patterns:
- Unpredictable menstrual cycle If the bleeding date cannot be predicted by the woman, she is said to have abnormal periods. It becomes uneasy during such situations and hence she must always carry sanitary pads for use at any moment.
- Bleeding between periods Some woman have bleeding twice or thrice in a month. Their actual menstrual flow that last for 5 7 days may get repeated once in a month, but she may have spotting or mild bleeding for 1 or 2 days in between the cycle.
- Very heavy periods If the menstrual flow and pain is too heavy and severe for her to carry out the normal activities, she is said to have abnormal bleeding.
- Periods lasting longer than seven days Normal cycle lasts for 5 7 days, some cases just 3 days. If the bleeding continues more than 7 days, it is considered as abnormal.
It is very important that such abnormal bleeding conditions or changes in regular bleeding cycle are subjected to evaluation by an experienced gynaecologist.
Evaluation for Abnormal Bleeding
When you visit the doctor concerned by your daughters abnormal bleeding, the evaluation would involve the review of complete medical history of the girl as well as the family. Later on, physical examination will be done according to the symptoms of abnormality. It is important to convey all the details expected by the physician so as to proceed with the treatment. As part of physical examination, the affected person will be subjected to ultrasound testing, hysteroscopy and endometrial biopsy along with general blood test.
Suggested Treatment for Abnormal Bleeding
What kind of treatment to provide for abnormal bleeding conditions depends on the symptoms and personal preference of the parents and affected woman. The following are some of the effective treatment procedures generally suggested for such abnormal periods:
- Medical treatment This involves prescription of hormonal drugs that help to balance the hormones and control bleeding. It is very essential to follow the drugs as prescribed by the physicians because if ignored, it may worsen the situation.
- Surgical treatment
- Endometrial ablation
- Uterine artery embolization